View Single Post
Old
04-14-2013, 03:20 AM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
Given that Sacramento has problems matching the old bid, and Hansen has upped his bid by another $25 million, I don't see Sacramento keeping the Kings. At best they get a promise of an expansion/relocation somewhere down the road, contingent on a new arena.

What worries me is Hansen's apparent unwillingness to own an NHL team. This is eerily reminiscent of ASG in Atlanta. Hansen would have to weigh the ONE TIME $80 million in contingent funds (for getting an NHL team) versus THE ONGOING REVENUE STREAMS he'd have to forgo to an NHL team. Unlike the case in Dallas, the cost of the arena is not split 50/50 with the owner of the hockey team. He would lose the ticket/suite/parking/concession/etc revenue for 45 dates a year. A hockey team simply is not feasable without it.

If instead he booked 20 or 30 rock concerts/WWE/MMA/tractor pulls, he would get to keep that revenue. Another factor to consider is that the NHL team would be competing with NBA team for sports fan dollars and sport sponsorship dollars. On the other hand, "them Idol shows that kids like" appeal to a totally different demographic. They would be additional revenue streams, instead of cannibalizing the NBA revenue streams. Hansen could legitimately make the rents high enough that an NHL team would not be viable. Look at Paul Allen in Portland, Les alexander in Houston, and ASG in Atlanta. For a hard-headed businessman that already owns an NBA team, adding an NHL team is questionable at best.
All of that, plus the already questionable Seattle market for the NHL, makes it pretty clear that moving the Coyotes there would be a disaster. I don't understand why the Seattle rumour won't die. It makes no sense for the NHL at this point in time. There won't be an arena for years, the NHL will be stuck paying rent in somebody else's building and be shut out of huge revenue streams, and there is no proven market for NHL hockey at NHL prices.