View Single Post
Old
04-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Roof Daddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisralph007 View Post
THW's The Next One's April 2013 NHL Mock Draft:

Just completed - the most in depth mock draft on the planet up at THW. Okay, well maybe not on the planet. Heck, maybe not even in North America. But...it is pretty in depth...and it is pretty awesome...maybe...

Some story lines:
- Oilers nab another Russian in the 1st rnd, filling a big team need, maybe even more improtant than Yakupov down the road.
- Flames draft 2 kids born in Calgary plus an offensive dynamo
- Habs draft prospect from la belle province
- Leafs draft son of enforcer
- So do Jets!
- Sens get an ice warrior
- Avs brings a big blueliner back home! (not that much of a shock).
- Devils cash in on Grigorenko situation take 2.
- Caps refurbish their Swedish prospect ranks

Link to result of the full mock draft: http://thehockeywriters.com/2013-nhl...april-edition/

Do they make the right selection, hypothetically speaking?
I would say no. IF we were picking in that spot and IF Nichushkin were still there I think it would be a poor decision to pass him over. The Russian factor has been grossly overblown and we are seeing teams benefit greatly by landing top 5 talents in the mid/late first round (Tarasenko, Kuznetsov). He will spend 2 years playing in a men's league and all scouting reports point to him being Malkin-lite. Could play C or LW with Yak.

Don't get me wrong, Zadorov would be a solid choice as well there. Just one thing however - this team has gone full tank mode and I highly doubt we'll be selecting 10th when the time comes. My prediction is 1st overall via winning the lottery. We will be in the 6th spot by seasons end, and the 6th spot has never won the lottery. We got screwed in 2007, winning a meaningless game against Calgary to leapfrog the Blackhawks and finish in the 6 spot while the Hawks won the lottery. We picked back to back busts in 95/96 with consecutive 6th overall picks. We have a god awful GM whose only attribute is a lucky tie and troll faced smile that is intrinsically tied to picking 1st overall. The hockey gods owe us some positive mojo from the 6th spot. If we finish there, we win the lottery.