View Single Post
Old
04-14-2013, 12:58 PM
newfy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
Uhm... Bure's goals were in the Dead Puck Era. Stamkos' aren't. Stamkos has better teammates too. Bure >>> Stamkos. I even rank Bure over Ovechkin, although that margin is slipping away quickly.
Look up the scoring levels in seasons for Bure. Some people seem to think this is some super high scoring league right now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Oh I agree, 60 goals is 60 goals no matter how you slice it. However, in 1982 when Denis Maruk got 60 and Mike Bossy had 64 I think we can assume who goalies feared more. Now, before you ask, I am not saying Stamkos is Maruk. He is obviously better. But that is also just an example of how numbers are part of the equation, not the whole equation. Stamkos is dangerous on the ice and is arguably the most dangerous player out there. But in thinking about Bure's career you worried about him every single second he was out on the ice. He would skate like a tiger to get to a loose puck. He did cherry pick, but that also meant he was even more dangerous because he could snap the puck up behind you at your own blue line.

On a breakaway I don't think Stamkos is feared more than Bure. In fact, I know he isn't. Nothing wrong with that, because Bure was damn near automatic on breakaways, it seemed. I would tend to believe Bure would have a far better shootout record than Stamkos does. Also, we know Bure could dangle with speed as good as anyone, but his shot was also lethal too. Yeah, right now Stamkos has a little ways to go in order for me to say he was a more dangerous goal scorer than Bure.
Yeah thats definitely true on the Bossy part but like you said we're comparing Maruk who had 2 good goal scoring seasons to a guys who is 23 and already has 2 Richard trophies.

Bure didnt win his until he was around 30. I think that some people (not saying you) just in general get caught up in the flash of some guys. Sure Bure was super fast and could dangle at high speed but theres stuff that Stamkos is doing out there that gets him set up to score as much as Bure ever did and he does it while not hurting his team defensively with the cherry picking

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote