View Single Post
Old
04-14-2013, 12:04 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

vCash: 500
It's a good poll... but if the draft were held today, the Oilers would be picking #8 and several of those names would be gone already.

I think Nurse and Monahan would both be gone in the top 7 and the choice at that point (if they picked #8) would be who was left on the board... either Lindholm or Nichushkin.

Zadorov, Ristolainen or Pulock could also be in the conversation if the Oilers wanted to go with a dman at that point... or if they really wanted to go "off the board" and pick Lazar... but I think most would agree #8 would be too early to pick Lazar but it depends how in love the Oilers are with the Oil Kings player who they likely know better than any other top prospect in the draft.

Monahan is the obvious pick if he slides to the Oilers... but if he's not still around (and he likely won't be) then it's pretty wide open at that stage as to who they'd pick.

My gut feel is they wouldn't draft Nichushkin because they'd be leery of him staying over in Russia indefinitely. Some might say having Yakupov in the lineup already might open the door a bit... but I don't see that being a convincing factor.

Lindholm is the obvious other high end pick... if he was still available, it would be hard to pass on him considering his abilities and skill level.

I think Lindholm is the player the Oilers would have to take at #8.

Of course they are falling fast and could be selecting #7, #6 or even higher so the options and outlook changes almost daily but right now at #8 I'd say Lindholm is the best pick.

To illustrate another scenario... if the draft went like this (and the Oilers picked at #8)...
1 Jones
2 MacKinnon
3 Drouin
4 Barkov
5 Nurse
6 Monahan
7 Lindholm
8 ?

Top contenders for that 8th spot for the Oilers would be Nichushkin, Ristolainen, Zadorov, Lazar, Pulock. I think they seriously could pick Lazar at that point... going with the player they know REALLY well over others with more question marks.

Last edited by nexttothemoon: 04-14-2013 at 12:12 PM.