View Single Post
Old
04-14-2013, 02:12 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I disagree. The better option would be the guy on an inexpensive ELC who will be an rfa for the next seven years as opposed to jumping on someone who is a ufa or soon to be ufa.

Realistically this team wont peak for another seven to ten years if somehow we are able to retain our core. So saying we need a guy "now" is a little misguided imo. His career will be on the downside or maybe even completely over when this team is at its peak. Whereas Jones will be entering his prime during the peak period.
I agree as well.

How many players that have been traded to the Oilers are still there
5-7 years later after the trade? The only way to retain elite talent for the long term is to draft them, develop them and have them play on the team for the long term. They aren't just hired guns at that point looking for the biggest paycheck which is what UFA acquisitions would be.

The Oilers need to fill out the roster in other areas with UFA's but the core is and will always be those young top picks that they are accumulating. Adding another one this year is the best use of that asset instead of trading it away for a player that could be gone in a few years (or less)... like Pronger, Souray, Pitkanen, Visnovsky among others.