Thread: Speculation: The 2014-2015 Goalie Situation
View Single Post
Old
04-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Der Jaeger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
If Buffalo acquired a goalie in return for Miller.....

I would look at moving Enroth in the offseason and have Hackett as a back up. Give Marakov full time at Rochester.

The other option is the hold onto Enroth but as the season goes on look for him to be dealt.
My opinion on this type of situation differs. That set-up, for me, is designed for competition and staged progression at goaltender. Make players either step up and prove themselves, or not. Figure out who stays based on that.

Make Crawford and Enroth compete. Crawford wants to prove he's a full time starter, not part of a duo. Enroth wants to prove he's starting caliber.

Make Hackett prove he's ready for the NHL by dominating Rochester, and compelling the Sabres to call him up. Then he has to prove he's better than Crawford and Enroth.

Make Makarov prove he's ready to play for Rochester, and if so, make him compete with Hackett.

Let Fucale and Ullmark develop at a proper pace, with a lot of players ahead of them in the system.

This situation could end up with a Noronen or two, eg: highly regarded prospects that don't make it in the face of competition, and lose trade value. That could happen. I'd rather it happen then hand goaltender jobs to players for the sake of trade value, only to find out you traded a gem and kept a turd.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote