View Single Post
Old
04-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Hagged

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Vatanen needs to mature his game to actually be less physical. Sort of like how Perry had to work the junior of of his game before he became good, Vatanen has gotten used to being quite physical in Europe. But he's too small to play that way in the NHL.

Other semi-examples are how Brule didn't get smarter about being physical as a small forward and how Jack Johnson didn't fully work out playing as a defenseman vs a rover who can play wherever he wants.

IMO the best way to improve that is with large amounts of playing time at appropriate, lower levels.
It does seem like he is coached to play that way. At least in this game he maintains his speed a lot better than I have seen before. He only plays the body to separate the puck and the forward. He doesn't go for the checks to take off the speed as much as he did. His defensive game is going towards covering the pass lines and using his stick. I really like what I'm seeing of him, even though he has had only a couple of shots on goal this game despite a lot of PP time.

EDIT: Vatanen with a minus, weird two on one. Two providence forwards behind Bobkov's goal, Vatanen in front. And nobody there to help even when the situation lasted for several seconds. Hard to put that on Vatanen, but those situations are the one's better to learn in AHL than in NHL.
EDIT2: Another goal for providence. 3-1.

Last edited by Hagged: 04-14-2013 at 04:03 PM.