View Single Post
04-14-2013, 03:58 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I love what Monahan provides and I also disagree with your assessment of his offensive potential (he took a big step forward this year - his numbers look the same but the help around him was non-existent).

Despite that, I think I'd side with Lindholm if we had a choice of the two (which would be an absolute dream - I'd love either of them). People sometimes get a little too hung up on size - the best one-two centreman duo in recent memory is Sakic-Forsberg and they were both under 6'0 tall.

Lindholm is a gritty player and he's superb along the boards. He's the kind of player who could carry a second line long-term while Monahan is more of a complimentary player.

I'm praying we end up drafting 7th or lower. My worst case scenario at 7 would be like this:

That would leave us with one of Monahan or Lindholm for sure IF a team was sold on Nurse's potential. We could also go big and take Nichuskin if we wanted a bit more risk.

Dropping down another pick or two would likely result in us taking one of the 3rd tier forwards (Shinkaruk or Domi) or 2nd tier defencemen (Ristolainen, Pulock, or Zadorov).

I'd be perfectly happy walking away from the draft with one of Monahan or Pulock but I'd be ecstatic if we could add a guy like Lindholm. I just don't think we'll be in a position to make that happen.
yeah i largely agree with you here as well... my preference would be monahan because he plays in NA so we know what his game will look like on the smaller ice.... he is a little bigger as well, and i consider that a plus

like you said though, dropping down even 2-3 spots (to 10th for example) basically gets us out of the "tier-2" players (monahan, nurse, lindholm) grouping and into the "tier-3" players grouping.... this tier-3 group has a LOT more players in it, and likely extends down to the 14-16th picks... any of the players taken in that group has as good a chance as the next of being the best player picked of the group (IMO anyhow)... the tier-2 group all look to be at least NHLers at some point, whereas that tier-3 group will have a pretty decent "bust ratio"

i don't want us to tank, but i won't exactly be crying if finish with the 6th-8th overall pick, which would likely ensure us getting one of the tier-2 players