Old
04-14-2013, 06:00 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Yeah, the number of NTC's match up with other teams as far as averages, but the players that have them for the Flyers is concerning. I see a lot of complimentary guys, and guys who's contracts keep them here past their primes. Maybe it's just me, but I would only give those clauses to guys who are star players, and Briere certainly doesn't fit that. Most people accepted the fact that Briere wouldn't be worth the money he's being paid in the last couple years of his deal, but also thought the team could have moved him to a team that was looking for cap space at a cheap price. Well, his NTC pretty much kills that, and an extra year or two on his deal may interfere with resigning a player that could provide a long term impact for the team.
Eh, I don't know that it kills anything. It is all speculation as to whether or not he declined to waive his NTC (unless I missed something). And with the exception of Fedotenko who is on a one year deal, the players with NTCs is most certainly not complimentary. Starting goalie, your top four defensemen, Briere who was a much more important part of this team prior to this year, and Hartnell who is on the top line, and also Pronger who would be our #1 defender and captain.

And again, giving these out to guys is a way to entice them to sign here either for cheaper or just over another team they may be considering. Homer isn't just calling people up and offer them. Players want them and usually give something up to get them. I don't know how the negotiations went, but if Briere (other player) said in his negotiations give me a NTC or I am signing for more money with MTL (or other team), what are you going to do, say no and then you miss out on the player you want and who was extremely valuable to this team for the majority of his time here?

The bottom line is, the Flyers are in line in terms of numbers and who they have given the NTCs to and their effect has also been in line with the rest of the league. Tons of guys have these clauses, very rarely do you see it really make a difference. The only guy I remember declining to waive is Kaberle. I remember Heatly being picky of where he was to go I think. Iginla seemed to force the Flames into taking a slightly worse deal. Other than that I don't remember it really hurting anyone else.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote