View Single Post
Old
04-14-2013, 06:08 PM
ozzie

vCash: 500
Stamkos will come close to Bure's scoring and provide a better all around game then Bure ever did.

In Florida the team strategy was - Bure floats at the Red line or the other teams blue line, looking for the stretch pass, break out or 2 on 1. That was their game plan and he potted almost 60 goals twice there.

Stamkos is not allowed to float like that, hardly anyone in the NHL is anymore.

Bure was a floater even in Vancouver, but not to the degree of his time in Florida.

However Bure was pretty unmatched at being able to perform high skill moves at full throttle, which most players can't do.

If Stamkos or any of the highly skilled players were allowed to float like Bure, who knows how many goals they would score? It is just not as common practice in the NHL today as it was 10 to 15 years ago. Yes players do float still and push it a bit and test the limits of their coach. But Bure had almost an open pass.

I don't mean to say Bure wasn't amazing, because he was, but his situation and skill set was much different then Stamkos.

Stamkos is a training freak now and about to hit the prime of his career. If he can avoid injuries I would think he will win a few more Rocket trophies.

Bure's true greatness can be seen in his play when suiting up for Russia. He became a much better player, back checked and more of a team guy. He had the skill, speed, strength to play a more complete game, of course surrounded by talent. He had a lot of heart at times. Don't get me wrong, one of my Fav Russian players. He played so well for Russia on 1 knee and still was the fastest guy out there. His NHL and International careers are so different in terms of his overall game, which was product of the NHL and not him.

ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote