View Single Post
Old
04-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Soli
"Punish & Enslave"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I love what Monahan provides and I also disagree with your assessment of his offensive potential (he took a big step forward this year - his numbers look the same but the help around him was non-existent).

Despite that, I think I'd side with Lindholm if we had a choice of the two (which would be an absolute dream - I'd love either of them). People sometimes get a little too hung up on size - the best one-two centreman duo in recent memory is Sakic-Forsberg and they were both under 6'0 tall.

Lindholm is a gritty player and he's superb along the boards. He's the kind of player who could carry a second line long-term while Monahan is more of a complimentary player.

I'm praying we end up drafting 7th or lower. My worst case scenario at 7 would be like this:

1-Jones
2-Drouin
3-Mackinnon
4-Barkov
5-Nurse
6-Lindholm
7-???

That would leave us with one of Monahan or Lindholm for sure IF a team was sold on Nurse's potential. We could also go big and take Nichuskin if we wanted a bit more risk.

Dropping down another pick or two would likely result in us taking one of the 3rd tier forwards (Shinkaruk or Domi) or 2nd tier defencemen (Ristolainen, Pulock, or Zadorov).

I'd be perfectly happy walking away from the draft with one of Monahan or Pulock but I'd be ecstatic if we could add a guy like Lindholm. I just don't think we'll be in a position to make that happen.
I'd be super pleased if that was the board and we're at 7, it'd be fantastic to walk out with Monahan. Some may tend to overvalue size, but on the Oilers we need all the inches we can get. I wouldn't say they're very differently physically, but the bigger frame the better when your using it. Definitely would give Lindholm the edge offensively, but the other facets of Monahan's game and intangibles make him such an attractive option to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
From the other thread but got closed right after I posted:

D Tommy Vannelli - Toolsy and smooth defender from Minnesota high school that has lots of filling out to do, noted for a eye-popping outlet pass and PP QB abilities. Could take a Petry like development in the US system. Supposed to go to University of Minnesota. Might be one of my favorite prospects I've heard about from on paper without actually seeing him play. Got invited to NTDP but turned it down to return for his senior year at Minnetonka. He is with NTDP for the U-18's so keep an eye on him.
I quoted it in the OP.

Kirk Luedeke had a few tweets about him this morning:

@kluedeke29
Tom Vannelli ain't vanilla. Minority view, but if I was picking in the last few spots of the 1st round, I'd take this kid. #upside
Tommy V- Hockey bloodlines, good size, skating and 2-way game. Raw? Yep. But if you're picking late, can afford to wait #rhymemaster

I'm interested.