Thread: Brian Gionta
View Single Post
Old
04-14-2013, 08:27 PM
habtastic

vCash: 500
I gave him a free pass for a very long time this season, but then I started noticing that he went from the most clutch guy on our team outside Cammy 3 years ago, to a guy who will skate his ass back on the backcheck after having accomplished nothing in the O zone. He used to go to the front of the net and still does, but can't stand up. He can't withstand the beatings anymore, can't get the tips, can't slap them in (seriously, there was a time when his slapshots went in), can't nudge them in, loses all his board battles. The only thing he is good at now is keeping up with pleks speed. He makes the worst passes (horrible stickhandling and just weak on every play) and everything seems out of his reach these days.

I hate it cuz I am/was a huge Gionta fan and I also think he's a playoff performer. Before the Boston series in 2011, I ordered a Gio jersey that FedEx lost so I had to drive 100km and back a few hours before game 1 just to get it in time. The gio that we see today is not the one who earned the C. I'm sure he's a great captain, but he earned it by being one of the best players (if not the best) on the ice. He is farrrrr from that now. Hope he finds himself again.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote