View Single Post
Old
04-14-2013, 07:41 PM
silverfish
Bow ties are cool

vCash: 500
I remember talking to an old friend during the beginning of the 2011-2012 season and telling her that Henrik Lundqvist would never win a Vezina trophy.

My reasoning behind that thought process was solely due to the fact that Lundqvist was consistently an amazing goalie. The thing is, I never saw him having a season with a sub 2 GAA that is the sexy number that the GMs want to see when voting for the Vezina. I thought forever in his career Lundqvist would finish the season anywhere from 2.1 - 2.3 with 35-40 wins, and forever be a bridesmaid and not a bride because there would always be that one person who went off that season, and proceeded to fall off the map.

Last year, I was beyond surprised to see Lundqvist not only finish with a sub 2 GAA (not because I didn't think he was capable of doing so, just because I had bought into his consistently amazing status) but take home the Vezina as the goalie who had "that season."

Now I look at Lundqvist, the stats that he puts up. Sitting at a 2.06 GAA right now with only 1 shutout is the epitome of consistency.

The Vezina should be Lundqvist's to lose at this point, and if he continues at his current pace he will once again finish with a sub 2 GAA. Perhaps this is the new level of consistency for Henrik Lundqvist as he enters his prime.

I always like to take a step back and remind myself how lucky I am as a New York Rangers and New York Giants fan. Having that consistency at such an important position. Knowing that for now and a bit into the future at this point what you're going to get from your goalie and QB every season. What a delight it has truly been, as you look at teams who have no idea what they're going to get every season.

It's been a privilege to watch Lundqvist his entire career, and I hope he adds three trophies to his hardware collection in June.

/endrant