Thread: Marleau
View Single Post
Old
04-14-2013, 09:37 PM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
If I had to guess on the JT/Burns/Havlat benching, it was turnovers more than defensive coverage. Since that time, JT has been more careful and more direct with the puck. That includes shooting more. It seems the coaches want puck to the net as soon after zone entry as possible. It can cut down on creativity. No passes across the blueline or from the sideboards to the high slot (high risk plays). It would also explain JT being combined with Wingels/Torres as they are rarely available for that kind of play with the way they play the game.

I have been watching Boyle at 5on5, and I imagine that if Robinson is serious about getting the puck up quickly that he is not enamored of Boyle doing his frequent rewinds. I have noted quite a few occasions recently where it isn't a line change and there is a forward open to advance where Boyle holds and starts over rather than passing. Just a guess.

I think the coaches know that the team has to get A LOT better at 5on5 for the playoffs if they don't want to be bounced early and quickly (eg 4-1 in the first round). JT and Boyle are key to that. There are no shootouts in the playoffs and there are more frequent 4on4 opportunities as the refs are more reluctant to give up PPs. 4on4 is another Sharks issue.
Don't you agree that for players like Thornton and Boyle, you just need to let them play their game? They'll figure it out, especially guys like Boyle.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote