View Single Post
Old
04-15-2013, 12:13 AM
Djp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
i think i pointed this out in my other post, but that value is absolutely horrible. give me one good reason why the Pens should even think of doing that. Carl Sneep got that kind of return and you think Orpik will only get that?
Buffalo really doesnt need him but this is looked at as a way by Pittsburgh around releasing him/buying him out without taking the cap hit.

this is no different than some others have talked about with other players of trading for cap dumps and buying them out or trading a player through a team and they eat part of the cap hit in exchange for picks/prospects.

As I also said in my post Buffalo may not be interested in him given their young Dman they want to give ice time to....and he is a Buffalo native (good PR move)

They may be interested in a cheap vet dman for a season as a transition and a back up option that they would sign as a 1 or 2 yr at around $2M per.

For them to take Oprik at a higher price than that $2M would mean them benefiting elsewhere such as an additional pick or a flipping of picks where buffalo can improve draft position.

If you want to get higher picks then talk to other teams.

for a defensive Dman making around $4M per you you may get something around a 2nd. Because Pittsburgh is desperate to move salary on their team they lost their bargaining power and the value would likely drop considerably.

If you were willing to wait till the trade deadline you probably could get around a 2nd and a 3rd for him.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote