Thread: Marleau
View Single Post
Old
04-15-2013, 02:26 AM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Yes, really. He improved his game defensively, worked on his shot, and worked on his decision-making. Among other things.

Sad for those people.

No more so than Jason Demers, I'd gather. There will always be those unjustified criticisms...I think the problem came from the fact that when you take his frame, skating ability, and physical skillset, you think "Scott Niedermayer". But he doesn't have Niedermayer's brain, and so he ends up being what he is, a #2-3 defenseman who can dominate on the PP. He certainly improved his game, but expectations were probably set a little too high. The lack of hockey sense was a barrier he wasn't breaking.

Maybe in this era. Sharks have also had Ozolinsh, Wilson, Suter etc.

Just in recent years, they've had Carle, Preissing, etc; comparable prime vs. prime.
Ozo's defense was way less than Ehrhoff. Ehrhoff is way up there on on offense. Blake, Suter and Wilson were over the hill when with the Sharks although better in their primes. Ehrhoff is beyond Carle on both sides of the puck.

Rather than use #1, #2, Etc. to describe Ehrhoff, I describe him as a premier offensive guy. #1 offensively. I would put his defense in the #3 range now.

I don't go with the thoughts of some fans and GMs that unless a player is first line or generational that they are trash/trade bait. The job of a GM should be more in building a team and integrating the parts that they have. DW has frequently gone the way of getting the top at the expense of the middle and bottom of the lineup (mainly middle) and somewhat ignoring integration (too many F2s, not enough F1s, etc.).

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote