View Single Post
Old
04-15-2013, 06:27 PM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Sacco? So easy win for Canada it seems.
About as easy as it was for Canada to beat the vaunted Scott Gordon last year I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
One thing's for sure: Matt Hunwick will be playing! I'm indifferent to be honest. Coaching doesn't kill the U.S. at this tourney,
Hunwick shall not be stopped!

Indifferent is a great way to describe it. Not to say I'm thrilled with Sacco as the coach but the US rarely has a coach I'm overly thrilled about here anyway. The teams are doomed by the overwhelming lack of regard for this tournament within USA Hockey and especially so with the players they pursue. And while the uninspired coaching choices certainly play a part in that, it's tough to hold it against USAH when the tournament starts in about 2 1/2 weeks. With that, I understand the desire to have a coach in place. And given that immediate need, you basically had 4 NHL head coaching choices: Joe Sacco, Jon Cooper, Ron Rolston, and Peter Laviolette. As brand new NHL coaches, I bet Cooper and Rolston declined (if asked) to focus on their current teams. I would assume Laviolette declined given the turmoil in Philadelphia. Sacco isn't an inspired pick but there weren't many other options.