View Single Post
04-15-2013, 11:52 PM
vCash: 91
Originally Posted by Move the Coyotes View Post
I think one of the problems with Phoenix (aside from the fact they play in Glendale instead of Phoenix) was that they just didn't have the infrastructure in place to really support a team from day 1. When the Winnipeg Jets announced they were moving, they really didn't look into the markets to see which was the best and most sustainable. They just knew they had to get the hell out of Winnipeg after that season. Where they landed wasn't really so much of a priority.

I think Phoenix would have been successful had they been granted an expansion team rather than a team that had to relocate on the fly. They would have been able to put in the proper planning on what it would take to be successful in that market. Of course, not all expansion teams were successful (ie Atlanta but thats a whole 'nother story) but they would have had a better chance.
To quote:

"When Colangelo was designing America West Arena, he wanted to build the most intimate arena in the NBA. He also wanted to keep his options open if the NHL desired a franchise in the desert. He called NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, who told him there was no future for hockey in the desert.

"A couple of years later, I get call from Gary telling me that the team from Winnipeg wants to move to Phoenix and a couple of guys would like to meet with me," Colangelo said."

Be seeing you!