View Single Post
Old
04-16-2013, 12:51 AM
iCanada

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
After letting this debacle of monumental proportions sink in, I think today is the day that hubris finally caught up with the old boys.

Some of the quotes in those article are gold. People are rightly choked and Lowe has set them all up so that anything other than huge success is going to be seen as abject failure. Their hubris has put themselves under a microscope that has, this far, not really existed in the media and outside Edmonton.

Even ESPN had a scathing article.

There is no logical argument that MacT was the most qualified candidate for this position. There will be no middle ground in terms of success and failure. Lowe has backed himself into a corner where any success will be despite him and failure will be attributed to him. MacT might succeed, but if he fails you can't really blame him because he's entirely unqualified.

There was talk at the presser of the "past" where Edmonton had difficulty attracting UFA's, but if the media and the fans can see the folly of this managerial shuffling then it's attracting attention from the players as well. The whole situation outwardly reeks. The shot themselves in the foot thinking they could operate this way and unintentionally shone a spotlight on the ineptitude of our management to the outside world.
I actually think MacT has the skills to be a good general manager.

He was a great coach, means he has good people skills/communication skills, means he good at planning. He has a masters degree in business, which means he can easily manage the salary and trading part of the job. Not only that, but he has a ton of experience with both non-skilled plug filled teams as well as overly-skilled pip-squeak teams; by virtue of having seen and interacted with both extremes he ought to be pretty understanding of what makes a good hockey club.

To top it off, MacT's biggest skill in my mind was always his ability to create a 7 game plan and adjust it on the fly in the playoffs. That 2006 run was a lot of him just out-coaching other clubs, especially the Wings and the Sharks. If he can make a team plan, and adjust it like he did with his playoff series I have no doubt he can be a damn good general manager.

I dunno, I think the optics of the move are ****ing awful, and I think Lowe is a blowhard that garners little respect from me any longer, but I think MacT is a savvy hockey mind attached to a passionate Oiler, and rather intelligent Business mind.

iCanada is online now   Reply With Quote