Old
04-16-2013, 02:59 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Now, if only you'd compile the stats for all the contenders for MVP so we can really see it.
Do your own legwork you lazy bum.

The Blues have a lot of guys who bring value to this team, in one way or another.

I would personally rank Pietrangelo #2 behind Backes at the moment. I think Oshie and Steen would also have been in the conversation with him this year if they hadn't both missed about a quarter of the season due to injury. As it is, they've simply missed too much time.

Each of the other forwards and defensemen that might be realistically considered have some very nice things that they bring to the table, but none of them come close to offering the sheer breadth of quality impact that Backes does on the game.

Shattenkirk has excelled in a number of areas (statistically and otherwise), but he's done so against the easiest competition of any regular defenseman. Same goes for Sobotka for the forwards. He's not doing nearly as much as Backes, and he's doing it against far easier competition. Jackman has really been a force for the Blues this year with regards to what he's asked to do, but he doesn't offer enough offensively to finish closing the gap with the top guys.

Stewart and Perron can make cases based largely on offensive production, but I don't think they're outproducing Backes by nearly enough to outweigh the (many) other things that Backes brings to the table that they don't do as well, or at all.

None of the goalies have done anywhere near enough to warrant serious MVP consideration in my book. None of them have as much as 16 starts, 10 wins, or a .905 save percentage. How can that top what Backes has done for the team?

I personally don't think there's anyone else worth seriously talking about beyond these guys.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote