View Single Post
Old
04-16-2013, 04:13 AM
Ice Whole

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Even if it is Barkov, I might still do it. Looks like a great prospect, but who knows how these guys really turn out, there's an inherent risk factor with any prospect. It's a calculated risk, but I think I'd be willing to do it for a shot at a sure thing, which Couturier is. Playing with godawful plugs this year and playing Philly's toughest minutes, he takes 70% of his faceoffs in his own defensive zone, that's near Malholtra levels. He's clearly demonstrated offensive prowess at both juniors and AHL levels, free him up a bit on that front to play with better players and you have yourself a damn good player. He's one of the most defensively advanced players for his age I've ever seen, more than Jordan Staal was at the same age. Not worried about his faceoffs when he's bringing so many other dimensions to the table. You have to give to get, MacT talked about risk today. Philly is going to want a legit roster player back probably. It's similar to the Carter to Columbus trade or Staal to Carolina trade last year.
I conpletely agree with you. His defensive game is amazing, forget how young he is. The fact that he shutdown Malkin, former conn smythe winner and one of the best players in the game at the time as a rookie speaks volume about his defensive game. However, I feel that Barkov is a can't miss prospect. His ceiling is similar to Couturier's. I know there is a calculated risk that comes with prospects but I have a hard time seeing a guy like Barkov bust. The thing is, Staal and Carter were much more proven but they also did get more. I'm on the fence about that trade, if I were MacT, I would push for a prospect or picks instead of trading paajarvi along with that pick.