View Single Post
Old
04-16-2013, 08:37 AM
mesamonster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGopher View Post
I believe it was $6 million. Privately paid for, later given to the Metropolitan Sports Commission. Quite a good rink for that price, too. Great sight lines, good, hard ice. Elements of it were copied in the Detroit, NY Islanders and SJ Sharks arenas built later. For anyone feeling nostalgic about the old Met, you need to get yourself down to a minor league game at Cincinatti's US Bank Arena, if it's still called that. Built 9 years later, so it has luxury boxes built along the top, but otherwise built on virtually the identical blueprints, and by the same construction company as the old Met in Minnesota. I've been there, and sat in the parallel sections to where I sat at the Met and the feeling is amazing. And when the Cyclones (ECHL team, I believe) would score a goal, the accoustics of the crowd noise would replicate what you'd hear and remember at the Met. That rink even started out with the same patterned white and colored seats the old Met had - you can find pictures on-line, but most recently had the red seats of the later Met. For those who have similar memories of Maple Leaf Gardens, head to the north side of Cincinnati to take in an event at Cincinnati Gardens, similarly patterned after the original in Toronto. Wander around and you'll feel like you're in MLG before the upper end decks were added. Great memories in both rinks. Worth a trip if you miss those old barns.
Correct! It was a fabulous building! A seat in the very back row was as good as any other in the arena! The building had a capacity of 16,000 and therein was the issue for the ownership. Another tidbit which is widely known, but of interest given todays prices, the cost of the franchise was $2MM ! The original owners were all involved in the ownership of the Minneapolis Bruins (bruins farm team) prior to their landing the Minnesota North stars franchise.