View Single Post
Old
04-16-2013, 12:16 PM
thomast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
I’m not denying that most of those guys would probably have done quite well in other organizations as well. Drive, determination, intelligence and ability to learn are in most cases more important than a slight difference in surroundings. I was just noting that most SM-liiga teams seem to have enough expertise to develop a player with the help of the national team program.

Blues junior teams are high in the standings, but it’s hard to determine how their coaches and training ultimately compare to those of other organizations. Most SM-liiga teams have highly dedicated coaches on their Jr.A and Jr.B teams, and offer a closely similar environment with Blues, but lack the depth and wealth of players to choose from.

SM-liiga is a development league for NHL and KHL, nowadays there’s room for promising youngsters on each team. Some might say that the wealth of prospects at Blues could in some cases make it harder for a Jr.A player to get a proper chance with their SM-liiga team.

My intuition is that KalPa would’ve been a good fit for Vaakanainen. Kuopio is close to Joensuu, the culture is similar and KalPa’s style of play compels defensemen to take a notable role with the puck. Moving to capital region has its own distractions and at this point it’s not a given that Vaakanainen gets a leading role with Blues’ Jr.B team next season. Carrying the team on your shoulders is what develops players the best and I’m not sure Blues can offer that, top responsibilities are often divided to several players there.

BTW, would you classify Vaakanainen as “extremely and naturally talented”? Is he in the same class with the top prospects mentioned earlier or will his possible future success be a merit of Blues organization?
Vaakanainen is promising young defenseman. It's too early to tell if he can reach top prospect status like guys you mentioned. Now he is probably best 99-born talent in Finland and has all the tools become high-end talent.

There have been movement before from Joensuu to Espoo like Miro Aaltonen who have done very well. He is moving with Teemu Väyrynen who is from joensuu which could help him adjusting. In blues he doesen't have star status labeled on him. He has to work harder to gain the key player status on the team more competition could actually develope him
as he knows that he has to give extra push every day. There are not too much competition for key defenseman role other than Veeti Vainio at B-SM for next year so Vaakanainen should have good chances.

http://www.blues.fi/component/bluesn...7?view=uutinen

There is bit info about Blues junior program policy. Player developement is the most important thing and team success will come if the main thing is working.

There is top knowledge in the managment, great coaching in every level.

There is some concerns that his developement as you stated. Lack of freedom and his imagination. Lack of taking the team on his back but not every player develope like that. There might be concerns if he would hold the puck too much which could create him more flaws. Teemu Pulkkinen is great example. He had leading role, he was carrying his team, he held the puck too much, he had the freedom do everything. But when he had to play more simple, smart and effective at higher competition because his previously working dominant style didn't work he had to learn it again. It's not like Blues has too structured team. They play actually beautiful hockey and defensemen can play the puck alot aswell. Not as controlled as Kalpa but still the main thing is that the players play with their strength. To me it's important to get little competition, winning enviroment, getting great coaching to success.

I actually understand you but both things have their good and bad. To me he could develope well in every top organisation but i like blues because of steady knowledge in their managment and how they pay attention on their player developement. But the main thing is what he does himself and how determined he is along with natural talent.

Last edited by thomast: 04-17-2013 at 08:07 AM.