View Single Post
Old
04-16-2013, 01:36 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Agreed with both of you. It's a fairly complicated problem. Our defensive play is average, largely because of the forwards...add in unreliable goaltending and that's not a good combination. But, just as the forwards drag down the D, the D routinely drags down the offense because they can't play like Lavi needs them too...its comical to watch Luke try and skate it in like timonen, only to get trapped in the corner.

Overall though, i think the offense and goaltending have been the bigger problems than defense this year. When you combine those two with anything but amazing, lights-out defense, though, it's gonna go poorly. Middle of the pack defensive play won't compensate for low goalscoring and bad goaltending.

Edit: yes, Montreal was an outlier game. I thought they played terribly. They let G skate straight in for a quality scoring chance while the defender just retreated into the crease and did nothing to impede him, for instance. it was like watching Carle attempt to defend Crosby
Exactly.

We don't have Pronger anymore and Timonen is a cut just below the rock he was before. We lost Richards and Carter.

We've replaced them with Grossmann, Schenn, Schenn, and Couturier. The Schenns and Couturier will get there with patience.

Once Couturier and Schenn start really breaking out and our offense stays healthy, I'm not so concerned with our offensive numbers down the road.

Defensively, we could use some help in the circle, but hopefully those numbers will improve as well.

As for our blueline, when we get play out of Bryzgalov that is comparable to Michael Leighton, how can this blueline, particularly when ravaged by injuries, expect to bring us to the playoffs.

Our defense is solid, but not spectacular like it was before. You put our Timonen - Coburn / Pronger - Carle defense into this one, and Bryz is probably looking decent enough right now. That's not what we have though, so we need to get better play out of Bryz or spend money on defense to turn him or whoever else into a respectable goaltender.

That's why we're not where we should be.