Thread: Great Britain: Hockey in Britain
View Single Post
Old
09-01-2006, 03:11 PM
GB

vCash: 370
Send a message via ICQ to GB
GB were only once in the top division in the '90's, and were relegated straight away. There were some none dual nationals on the team at the time, although not many. Certainly the Coopers were there, but I'm not sure if Hand was there or if he had started his non-playing protest against the number of Canadians in the team. I'm inclined to think he was there though.
Also GB did not play at Nagano. We qualified for a 3-team play-off, held in Britain, but failed to qualify. Stevie Lyle was fantastic in that play-off tournament, his best performances for GB ever, IMO.
I'm unsure how much Hand coming back to Britain hurt hockey development. I reckon he would have had a Craig Janney esque career. His main skill was fantastic hockey knowledge, but along with most Brits of the time his skating was sub-par by international standards. His return to Britain did give us all a supreme talent to watch, I often wonder how he would have developed if he'd been born in Canada or moved there as a very young child. I reckon he'd have been a HOFer.

Last edited by GB: 09-01-2006 at 05:18 PM.