View Single Post
Old
04-16-2013, 03:02 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I'm not trying to be.

If we're going to rebuild then we need to rebuild.

If we're going to go for it all then we need to go for it all.

Floating around in the middle is not going to help us.
The Flyers are going to be in the "grey area" in terms of rebuilding/contending... just like many teams are going to be and are. We aren't going to jettison all our veteran players just because we've barely had any draft picks in the last 5 years and the cupboard is relatively bare. There's really no need to plan to ice a young and terrible team and collect high draft picks. Teams that do this end up in the cellar for a long, long time and I find it quite disgusting.

I have no problems staying the course with this Flyers roster. We have a dangerous team when we are firing on all cylinders. We need to find the consistency, and that takes time, as well as keeping the roster consistent. Look at how crazy (and mediocre) this league is, any team can make the playoffs and once they do, any team can beat any other team. Every team needs to upgrade their D and is hunting for that extra piece. We're better off being conservative and going with what we have.

Really, there's just not many top defensemen worth going out and getting. Only a guy of Weber's calibre would be capable of putting us over the top and they just aren't on the market, and if they are, they will cost two arms and two legs. Getting a Yandle or Bouwmeester or one of those is just going to give us another middling defender. Getting a Kulikov or a Rundblad or any young guy is a huge risk. Fact is, we have a capable defense when every one is healthy, though I could give up on Coburn and Meszaros.

Whether we pick at 1 or 12 or anywhere in between: I trust the Flyer's scouting staff enough to think we are going to get a good player, defense or forward. They will not be the saviour though, and certainly not immediately, and yes, that includes the vaunted Seth Jones too.