Thread: Player Discussion: Brad Richards
View Single Post
Old
04-17-2013, 07:31 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
In his two years here Richards has not been able to really create chemistry with any of the players put on his wings. For a guy who depends so much on his playmaking ability that is not good. I don't think this is necessarily just a bad year--this is decline. Whether he's in tip top shape or not that's just speculation and truly I don't know if it's necessary for us to give him another year just to find out. If it were true--what's the matter with him anyway?

IMO at this point in time our top two centers are Stepan and Brassard. Whether Brassard continues to maintain a point per game clip or how he'll look in the playoffs (if we make it there) he's a more involved player than the guy that's got an almost $7 mil per year cap hit for the next 7 years. I could understand the Rangers trying to get another year out of Richards but that next buyout one way or another should have his name on it. There's the question of whether Stepan is going to get much better than he already is at age 22. I don't think he's going to be an elite player but he's looking more and more like a legit 1st line center.

Bringing us to------the UFA market (like the draft) is just another avenue in which a team can improve itself. Like at the draft there are no guarantees that what you're hoping for or expecting is what you're going to get. In any case this team is not the kind of team that tanks to get a franchise player. It gets lucky with a Lundqvist once in a while. Previous to that was Leetch. It didn't work with Messier (2nd time around), Holik, Gomez, Drury and is not working with Richards. C'est la vie.