View Single Post
Old
04-17-2013, 08:47 AM
CupofOil

vCash: 500
If he proves on the ice in full contact drills that he's completely over the injury and he undoubtedly earns a spot if he has a stellar TC and preseason then be on the big club playing bottom pairing minutes and be eased into the lineup. He shouldn't be handed a spot due to management's inability to bring in a legit defenseman.

I prefer that he plays in OKC for at least the first part of the season, get acclimated to the pro game then he'll be ready for full time duty once he hits the NHL but if he truly earns a spot then he should play with the Oilers starting on opening night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail and Nuge View Post
I can't help but think that the worst thing we could do for this guy is put him directly into the NHL.

Look at Schultz. (Justin, not the idol for Klefbom that is our veritable top 4 d-man Nick). Justin is now officially struggling. He has hit -17 in +/- and is getting murdered in the post game E. Journal analysis. I am a huge, massive, gigantic Justin fan. However, the kid has hit the wall.

So, if Justin hits the wall, despite: a) being healthy and not coming off significant surgery, and b) destroying the AHL, exactly what chance does Klefbom have?

Please. Send Klefa to the AHL. Bring in another top d-man by using your assets (The 2013 1st overall, Gagner, Hemsky) and develop Klefbom in a logical, stepwise progression.
Totally different situations.
The jump from college to the pros is a much steeper learning curve than from the SEL to the NHL.
Also, Klefbom is much more physically equipped to handle the rigors of the NHL than Schultz is at this point of their respective careers.
I agree with the jist of your post, i just disagree with using Schultz as a benchmark for Klefbom's NHL readiness.