View Single Post
Old
04-17-2013, 09:47 AM
RDriesenUD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
He's earned another year. I would rather they not give him an extension, though. Let's see how it goes next year.

I've never understood why a coach is a 'lame duck' on the last year of their contract. I understand why a general manager could be considered that as they often have to make decisions that have long-term consequences. A general manager with an expiring contract may act very differently at the trade deadline than one with a long-term contract.

Most coaches are focused on the next game. I don't really think a coach is going to use different lines or systems if they are on the last year versus having another year on their contract.
I agree. A coach is coaching to win the game they are playing. A GM is trying to win now, but also improve the team for the future. A coach will continue to try to win the next game no matter how many years are on his contract, because that is how he will get a new contract. A GM might change from worrying about the future to only worrying about the current year which could be really bad.

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote