Thread: Speculation: Stalock's future with the Sharks
View Single Post
Old
04-17-2013, 10:56 AM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
You're only proving my point with it. Some are on first contracts so obviously that means someone with limited experience can put up quality numbers with their team. The point isn't that goalies are wholly dependent on the team in front of them for how they look. The point is that with a surplus, a lot of goalies can look good in the right place for a good price.
I think that while this is true, it is bird in hand vs. two in the bush...

Quote:
And the whole bit about taking less chances with a 'bad goalie' in net isn't necessarily true either. Philly has been taking offensive chances for years with questionable goaltending. Chicago has done the same.
Interesting examples that you bring up. Philly for years has been trying to acquire a legit top goaltender. Look at how subpar goaltending sunk them in 2010. Chicago's SC team probably had the worst goaltending of any SC finalist in the last 10+ years...maybe you can include Osgood and Detroit, but Osgood's strengths fit Detroit very well.

Quote:
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that you can slap any goalie and get them to put up good quality performances if you play to his strengths and that there are a lot of goalies that can play at this level to do that with w/o spending a lot of cap space. And the space you save doing that can be used up front to get more depth.
Fair points, but I wonder how easy it so to "play to a goaltender's strengths". There is that adjustment period.

The thing is, when goaltending fails, it can cost you miserably. Nabokov probably cost the Sharks a series win or two with his play in the postseason.

I wouldn't have issues with trading Niemi if he asked for 5+, even though at this level of play that is very fair market value. But at his current level of play and contract I take it just for piece of mind's sake.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote