Thread: Proposal: EDM and PHI
View Single Post
04-17-2013, 01:45 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Well, I don't imagine they are going to sign anyone at $5+ in free agency--if they did, you're right, they would have to move salary. But what's the point of trading Coburn to sign Streit?

In any case, I think you're math is off a bit somewhere.

And that includes slightly-larger-than-necessary raises for Rinaldo, Hall, and Rosehill, and assumes Gagne is re-signed at his current hit of $3.5 (which I don't expect). There are two extra forwards and an extra defenseman. And Pronger isn't on LTIR.

EDIT: If you want them to go after a top-six forward (Horton), then obviously Gagne wouldn't be resigned. Things get a bit tighter (Laughton might have to be returned to juniors), but I'm not seeing the problem for next year.

EDIT #2: I'm not sure about the LTIR on Day 1 thing. I thought that you could use LTIR from the first official day of the season, which means that it wouldn't be necessary to do the paper manipulation that you've suggested. As soon as the offseason cushion expires, LTIR is an option, right?
As far as the paper thing, I was assuming that the Flyers would use the extra 10% space in the offseason to sign someone and then put Pronger on LTIR to be cap compliant. But Pronger must be on the roster on day for cap reasons so to make up the 10%, someone must be place on the AHL roster on paper on that day too. You have to be complaint first before you can put Pronger on LTIR.

You are correct that they would be fine bringing back that roster next year but that is the exact same roster as they have now. I am expecting changes, especially on defense, at least on player. If it is a trade, well then salary will probably go out. If its UFA, another big contract will have to be moved.

The other thing to worry about is the bonuses. If those bonus exceed the salary cap, which it will once Pronger is placed in LTIR, then they count next year as dead space. So that would be $3 million locked up that they could use to sign those big players. Happend with JVR that I think $1 mill plus was off the books to start the next season.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote