View Single Post
Old
04-17-2013, 04:12 PM
zarley zelepukin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Mayberry's got a good eye and consequently walks a lot too (5BB in 22AB). imo when the team is struggling offensively as they are now they need as many base-runners as possible. one of my main issues with Revere and the team in general in the early season is that they really doesn't walk enough. i didn't really expect Revere to change though and he was never a guy who walked a whole lot.
Agree about the lack of walks (I think this goes back to Amaro, which is my main gripe with him). I know Revere hasn't been a great on-base guy, but I did think he would do better than this. And it's still early. He does have enough patience at the plate to walk, but he puts the ball in play at an extremely high rate when he swings, and because of his lack of power, pitchers aren't afraid to challenge him when they get behind in the count.

I thought, since he's still a young guy, maybe with a slight uptick in power or a less extreme rate of putting the ball in play, he could bump his OBP from the .333 he had last year to near .350. That's what I'm still hoping for out of him.

There is some reason to be hopeful. His groundball rate is significantly higher than it was last year, when it was already crazy high. That will probably normalize and he'll get more hits.