Thread: Speculation: Who should we draft?
View Single Post
Old
04-17-2013, 05:09 PM
braindead

vCash: 500
Sportsclubstats has been amazingly accurate in its playoff assessments in the past. For the draft, they show Florida as a near lock for #1 and Avs pretty safe at #2. Preds are in a strong #3/#4 race with the Flames and only Carolina challenging. IF THE PREDS LOSE OUT (PRAISE BE TO ORR), WE ARE A TOP 3 LOCK.

Unless something goes "out of the ordinary" wrong, we should be comortably in the top 5 and likely get 3/4 depending on the outcome of our upcoming Flames game (in which Pekka will get injured in warm ups, Clune will dress as the backup and Mason will get run by Weber early in the first period... but i digress).

In the perfect scenario, we win the lottery and move down from 1 to 3 so Jones goes to the Avs and then we happily take McK or Drouin at 3, whichever is left. In the alternative, Poile stays put and I'd bet the farm he takes McK.

If we finish 3rd or lower, we need to root like crazy that a team above us wins the lottery. The nightmare scenario is finishing 3rd and getting bumped down one.

We need to finish at least 4th if at all possible... that way even a bump to 5th gives us our first choice after the "Big 4" (which I think is more of a big 3). That way Poile still has a number of great choices and may even be able to move back a couple of spots if he knows what teams are doing. To be alock for 4th we can't afford more than a single OT loss; however even at 2-2 we are more likely than not in at 4th or better.

In summary, a loss to Flames is crucial- they look poised to lose out the season otherwise. Other big games: Canes need to win tomorrow against the Jets and Sunday against TBL.