Thread: Speculation: Who should we draft?
View Single Post
Old
04-17-2013, 05:33 PM
maplepred

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
I see alot of folks talking about getting the high pick and then trading down to get a 2nd or something.

The way I see it - there are 4 pretty sure fire great players (as far as any draft pick can be) - Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, and Barkov in this draft. You have to take one if you can get one.

Lindholm is nice, but we have too many nice players already. We need elite.

Look at it this way, would you trade say, Hornqvist and G.Bourque (two nice players) for an elite guy like, say, Patrick Kane or Giroux? Of course you would.

Because that's the difference between good and elite. Between picking a MacKinnon/Drouin/Barkov and two nice players picked further down.

I don't think barkov deserves to be in same class as Mack and drouin at all. Those two are pretty much as close to a guarantee you get, barkov is definitely not that. I think barkov has same potential as Lindholm and monahan, not to me took he just had surgery.

Also,
If we do win lottery, I can't see a team giving us much for the pick who is also top 2 or 3. Because the team in second knows we won't take jones pretty much for sure so why trade much when they can just take him at second? I could possibly see it working trading with #3 team for them to skip ahead of 2 and get jones, but then at three we don't get to pick drouin or mackinnon, we get whoever isn't taken, maybe poile had a preference between the two?!