View Single Post
Old
04-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Kyle Doobas*

vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeder9 View Post
Fair enough. We only get to second guess after the fact on things like this anyway. The way I see things, if Bozak was the 2nd line center, would he have the points he has now? No. If he was the 3rd line center would he have even the points Grabs has right now? I'm thinking not. Bozak is good at faceoffs and replaceable at everything else, literally. He is the John McDonald of 1st line centers, but John gets Lawrie's bat to help him in negotiations. That's Bozak. The idea some have that because no one can replace him (bs), or that him and Kessel are friends ( who cares) so we have to pay him that kind of money for what he actually brings is a joke, plain and simple.

McClement is a better player defensively in every sense of the word. Kulemin is better defensively in every sense of the word. Komarov is better defensively is every sense of the word. Bozak doesn't bring offense to the one position on every team where offense is most important, 1st line center, so he's left with faceoff abilities. Gordon is a UFA and he's better than Bozak at that aspect and would cost about 1.5m per year, and he is better defensively than Bozak.

Lets look at what face offs do for us. Nothing. We aren't a possession team so we end up giving the puck away on almost every offensive faceoff. Same with neutral zone. His faceoffs are important to us in the defensive zone. All in all, he is a faceoff guy for defensive zone plays. 5m for that? He isn't physical. Not sure why that keeps popping up. He isn't great at the cycle, not sure why that gets brought up. He isn't a great passer. Not sure why that gets brought up, although figuring how long it's been since we had one maybe this is why some think it. His IQ is replacement player, meaning when everything is said and done, he can be replaced for everything except faceoffs, but wait, he can be replaced for those as well at a fraction of the cost
Good post Teeder. I'd give Bozak a $3M 'Chris Kelly' deal at the most. If that's not enough then there are other players who can bring everything he brings at a much more reasonable cap hit.

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote