View Single Post
04-17-2013, 06:44 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
^ The thing is, that's not what the article means by "cocooning". I would agree that technology is putting pressure on live event attendance -- but not because people never leave their houses or whatever.

I could very easily imagine live sports making a major transition in the next ~30 years toward being a more exclusive, luxurious event with much smaller crowds being admitted at much higher prices. The trend is already there -- new arenas are smaller, with large sections of the seating reserved for luxury boxes and club seats. As technology chips away at the downsides of home viewing, the organizations are coming up with ways to make the live experience more like being at home. You park in a reserved spot, enter through an exclusive door, go to your nice reserved box and have a meal from the buffet while sitting in your plush seat. And of course, it costs $200 a head to get that experience.

It should be interesting to see how the next few arenas are designed. I'm betting that we see more and more emphasis on raising the dollars-per-seat and less emphasis on number-of-seats-per-arena. That's the only way to pay for the amenities that are now becoming an expectation for consumers.
And that's expensive? I get so depressed when I see U S game costs.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote