View Single Post
Old
04-17-2013, 10:29 PM
SA16
Sixstring

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
I dont know where those figures come from but face offs have been horrific all season.
I'd like to see that broken down a little better.
At points in the game where it matters most they are getting eaten alive.
We're actually above average as a team -- 50.2% on the year.
Highly doubt that is anything different than any other teams and is merely a factor of remembering the losses and forgetting the wins. If you want a possible factor as to why it COULD be true that we are bad at faceoffs in late games/PP situations it could be that our team leader in faceoffs (Stepan) plays in those spots and happens to be a really poor faceoff man --- and combined with the fact that in those situations he is likely facing one of the opponents top defensive/faceoff guys (which is no different than for other teams - just their top center might actually be good at faceoffs)

For reference Stepan is ranked 65/81 among players who qualify for the faceoff lead according to nhl.com (admittedly I do not know how many faceoffs are required to qualify but they seem to be showing anyone with over 8.8/game or so). Oh and additionally not only is Stepan bad on faceoffs he is 6th in the league in faceoffs taken so that's another possible factor.

It is mandatory for him to work on those in the offseason. It's his next stop to becoming a 1C or at the least a real top 2C