View Single Post
Old
04-18-2013, 07:01 AM
BraveCanadian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
so what part applies to Wayne's decline?

this is Overpass with his comments on Wayne
I happen to disagree with overpass in this instance outside of the fact that it is true Gretzky was treading water in adjusted +/- in LA.

At least a few things off the top of my head, although I'm not sure why I am wasting my time:

1. He wasn't used exactly the same in LA as EDM. Gretzky was relied upon for a lot more because the Kings obviously weren't a dynasty.

2. He didn't score quite as much with the weaker options on his new team. (However, still at a pace only one other player has ever matched.) Meanwhile the weaker team got scored on a lot (outside 90-91 when Wayne was far and away their top scorer and not surprisingly a +30).

3. 88-90 Gretzky had a strong off ice scoring counterpart in Nicholls. I don't remember for sure right now but I think that Robitaille often played with Nicholls too. Players with strong linemates and poor off-ice counterparts do quite well in adjusted +/-. Gretzky was in the opposite situation.

4. Suter gooning him then caused a large drop off in the positive side of his ratio because his even strength scoring demonstrably dropped suddenly and permanently, and in addition, like most other offensive stars, he slowed down in his 30s.

Last edited by BraveCanadian: 04-18-2013 at 08:14 AM.