View Single Post
Old
04-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
From what I can tell, you'd be hard pressed to take Barkov, or Monahan especially, over Drouin because of "size"

That would be like taking JVR over Pat Kane because you want a "big forward"
In general, yes. BPA. But the Best Possible Centre generally has more value than the Best Possible Winger.

In Chicago's perspective, they already had Toews and two stud defencemen in Keith and Seabrook. A skill winger was exactly what they needed. Not to say they wouldn't have taken him anyway, because he was the consensus #1 overall. Like us taking Yak. We weren't dying for skill on the wings, but if you have #1 you take the BPA. But we just got three BPAs in a row, so if you have two players close in rank, I think we can take the one that suits us better. I think its been proven that its too difficult to trade for those types of players.

In our case, if we were to take Drouin, we have another smallish skilled winger in our top six. We would likely then need to consider moving one of them for a #2C that we desperately need, and it would cost dearly if we could even manage it. Barkov fits what this team needs, and is the skill drop off so much that he's not close to Drouin? I don't think so. He's scoring more against grown men in the Finnish league than anyone since Selanne. If we're in the range of Monahan, Drouin is gone already, so don't be scurred homie.