View Single Post
Old
04-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Either you forgot or ignored their two best prospects, Nyquist and Jarnkrok, but I think those two could make for a pretty good future in Detroit. I'm not saying they're going to be Datsyuk & Zetterberg 2.0, but they're both definitely above-average players.

But if people think the Habs have been stifling their young talent, they should look at Detroit. Guys like Smith, Tatar and Nyquist should have been regulars last year, arguably. The fact that they're still not and that Detroit are still playing broken-down vets or grinders ahead of them is why they're spinning their wheels. There's being patient and being foolish.
Nyquist will be 24 before opening night next year and he's still struggling to crack the NHL lineup. He's a good prospect, not a great one. Jarnkrok hasn't exactly torn it up in the AHL since they brought him over(again he is 21).

I find some of Detroit's prospects get overrated because they hold them back so long that they start tearing up the AHL, but at 23-24 it's the age where most young players(especially forwards) are already playing rehgular in the NHL.

Nyquist for example is only a few months older than Eller...can you imagine Eller playing 22 minutes a night in the AHL this year? He is already at 204 NHL games after 70 AHL games.

Their prospect pool is a few guys like Kristo and Bozon, no Pacioretty's or Galchenyuks or Subbans. Maybe I'm wrong but just an impression.