Thread: Speculation: Burns, future forward for life?
View Single Post
Old
04-18-2013, 11:35 AM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
not to many teams can boast that kind of accomplishment though lol. defensemen of burns's ilk just do not come along that often.

of course there are plenty of hulking defensemen in the league, but not to many that can bring speed, a good shot, good defense, and great offense from the back side.
From what I understand, the organization feels/knows it has deficiencies in drafting and developing both top offensive D-men and top two-way/physical D-men.

The former they feel is a developmental issue at the NHL level, which I suspect is why they brought Robinson on. They acknowledge that they haven't drafted many guys who could be premier offensive d-men, but they see that as a function of draft position more than anything.

When it comes to Burns/Blake/Pronger types of D-men, I know that the Sharks felt that was an issue more to do with development; they felt that they had drafted players with talent that people throughout the organization like Sommer/Ricci/Wilson mishandled. Personally, I would suspect that they have evolved on this issue. It is clear that players like Wishart and Petrecki were overrated from the start; it isn't like they went to Worcester and suddenly started "sucking"...

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote