View Single Post
Old
04-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
If they get out-bid for Read, so be it. But signing Hainsey as a slight upgrade on the #4 defenseman slot would make it difficult for the Flyers to bring Read back even at a good price.

I understand the case for Streit--he brings a proven skillset that the team lacks. I just don't get the sudden love for Hainsey. He's just another solid-but-not-spectacular 3/4/5 type.

I'm not even sure Hainsey is better than a healthy Meszaros--granted, I haven't seen one of those in a while.
Hainsey is just a solid veteran 3-4 guy but I think there is great value in pairing someone like that with Luke Schenn while he continues to develop. Coburn has shown flashes of great defensive play when he was paired with a steady veteran partner but falls apart when he is the lead guy. I am not saying Schenn is Coburn, but why chance it. You could also pair Hainsey with Coburn and improve his play. Hainsey has done a good job helping out Bogosian.

The Flyers are about to begin the process of bringing in young defensemen into the lineup, like Gostibehere and hopefull their 1st rd pick this year. Timonen is leaving after next season. Having a steady guy to mentor young defensemen is never a bad thing to have. Coburn can't do and Luke is still too young.