View Single Post
Old
04-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
The situation is indeed complicated, however evidence exists that could denote a Slavic lineage in some parts of Finland. So technically neither oversimplification is incorrect.
There are fuzzy lines in the connection between the countries language, which closely resembles hungarian or estonian, and its people's genetic origins.
It is ridiculously complicated and fuzzy... and so extremely interesting, however, here is my (did a course on Norse Mythology, History and language last year, and spent a lot of time in Finland) understanding.

While the languages of Estonia and Finland are very different to the rest of the 'Nordic' countries, the people of Finland for the most part consider themselves to be closely related to the rest of scandinavia as people (obviously in Estonia this is also semi-true due to the large Russian population, but a lot of Estonian Estonians (if that makes sense) consider themselves as Nordic as well, and in fact western Finland had the highest level of 'Viking' DNA markers of any country in Northern europe.

Historically as well Finland and its people were part of Sweden for nigh on a century, and up until only 150 years ago a lot higher percentage of people spoke Swedish than now, and even before then in the Viking era there was a lot of interaction between Finns and the other Fennoscandinavians, and there is a lot of evidence of Viking settlement in mainland Finland.

Estonia had arguably even bigger Viking links, Oeselians were a type of 'Viking' people who participated in raids and battles with the Norweigans, Icelandic, Danes and Swedes, and the area was known as 'Estland'. There religion was also remarkably similar to the 'true' vikings, and they had a god Taara, who effectively was Thor. A few years ago in Estonia there was also a big movement to change their flag to a Nordic Cross to better reflect their history.

So while the language may be different from Scandinavia, much of their recent history (last 1200 years) and genetic markers have much in common with the other Nordic countries.

All my Finnish friends consider themselves as 'Nordic' ofc, and think of themselves as far more culturally similar to Scandinavia than Slavic countries, I only know one Estonian, and he is called Ragnar... so no more needs to be said on what he considers himself.

My Finnish friends always insult each other by calling each other 'thieving swedes' or 'dirty russians', depending on which area of Finland they are from and their second names! (ie Swedish second vs Karelian names)

Btw, if anyone ever gets a chance, go to Estonia, one of the most underrated countries I have ever visited, truly beautiful and interesting with fantastic people.

Appleyard is online now   Reply With Quote