View Single Post
Old
04-18-2013, 01:43 PM
MurphyDump

vCash: 500
Question for SJ fans (MOD: Douglas Murray)

Hey all, Pittsburgh fan coming here with a question.

When we acquired Murray, I was pretty excited, being that we don't have a physical defenseman that can clear the crease and block shots the way he does. Looking for Martin, Niskanen, Eaton, or Letang to clear bodies is a dream at best. Orpik used to have that edge, but has completely softened and actually regressed in his play.

Murray has come in and played the bottom pairing role to a tee. He's slow as hell and sometimes tries to skate the puck when he shouldn't, but he's fitting in perfectly and putting a little fear in teams trying to set up shop in front of the net. He's also laid out a few body checks that left me shaking my head. These are two traits that completely plagued the Penguins prior to his arrival. Our d couldn't handle any big forwards.

Many Sharks fans said we'd regret adding him and that he was so bad, but I can honestly say he's been playing his role perfectly, heck he's even got a goal and 2 assists in 9 games! Although we may have overpaid, most fans are happy.

My question is, has your blueline improved since his departure? I know sometimes it's addition by subtraction. Going 7-2-1 in your last 10 has to say something for the Sharks play, so I assume things are going well? What defenseman has stepped into his spot and how has he played?

If you feel the blueline got better by trading him and allowing another player to step in, then the draft picks you received are even more of a bonus.

Just curious to your thoughts?

MurphyDump is offline   Reply With Quote