12-30-2003, 04:23 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy
My only concern is that the Jersey style of hockey doesn't sell tickets for the Devils, and if the Sabres can't attract fans, the Sabres will be goners. That being said, I would do anything to win the cup in Buffalo and if that is what it takes then go for it. I'm hopeful that the long-suffering fans would jump on the bandwagon once we were showing success in the playoffs.

Interesting that in the latest Hockey News, Lamoriello states the obvious in that what the Devils have done "over the last decade or so, is built our team from Marty (Brodeur) out". Maybe the Sabres can use that approach with Ryan Miller hopefully turning into the next Brodeur. All we need is to find the next Scott Stevens. We were close to the Cup with Hasek on board, but didn't have the foresight to see that it was necessary to sign Peca. It has been downhill for this franchise ever since.
It's not so much that Jersey's scouting has provided a boring style, that falls on development and coaching. They have however provided the Devils with a consistent talent pool to draw from when needing a replacement for current roster players or for trade ammunition when looking to make a deep playoff run.