Old
04-18-2013, 04:32 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter Scale View Post
What I'd do with a clothespin on my nose and clenching my teeth if my hand was absolutely forced because Clowe won't budge? $4.75 mil for 5 years. If he ends up falling off a cliff after 2-3 years, move him for scraps and you free up the cap space.
I hate the idea that you sign a player with the thought that would need to consider dumping him for scraps. If that seems like a possibility, I rather let him walk now.

Quote:
He isn't going to deteriorate so much in that time that he won't still have some value with the type of game he plays. People also forget that the cap will likely go up in the coming years (not saying that is an excuse to sign Clowe - or any other UFA - to a ridiculous contract, since a higher cap influences the market price, but it is certainly a part of the considerations in looking at future cap space).
His decline in production (and not just this season) is a concern. And I can't make moves based on what the cap may or may not do. If guess if I have to some many provisional plans based on around him breaking down or the impact of his potential cap hit, I have walk away.

Quote:
I agree that if you think Clowe is an awful signing, you shouldn't re-sign him and lose the additional pick just because we gave up draft picks already. But, personally, since I think he would make a decent signing, I will not be terribly happy that Sather gave up the two draft picks if the plan wasn't to re-sign him, or it doesn't get done for a reasonable price/term. If the rumors of Clowe and Sather having a "framework" for a deal in place turn out to be untrue and/or Clowe wanted $5-6 mil and 6-8 year term all along, then I'll gladly stand with the people calling Sather an idiot for this move. All depends on what happens in the offseason in my mind.
It's the extra pick that bothers me. And I mentioned when the trade was made that the additional pick almost de-incentivizes the Ranger to keep him. So, yeah, the additional pick muddies things, IMO. The fact that the Rangers don't have a first this draft further muddies things.

On a side note, its time for this front office go back into talent evaluation mode. They recognized Prust and what he is and targeted him. They saw what Stralman could be. Go out and beat the bushes and find talent. Don't buy it right before its sell-by date.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 04-18-2013 at 04:45 PM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote