Thread: Speculation: Who should we draft?
View Single Post
Old
04-18-2013, 05:54 PM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Legwand was one of the best skaters around in his younger days, the issue is that his offensive skillset never caught up really.

And MacKinnon or Barkov would be awesome. Even if we finished as the worst team in the league, I would not draft Seth Jones. I would trade down a slot or two with the Flames / Avs / Pants. We absolutely have to draft a premier forward; who knows when we will get a top pick again. This franchise is made to finish #5-10 in its conference every year.
What if you had a trade planned for Weber that would net us a top 4 defenseman and a top 3 forward, would you do it? Jones, Klein, Josi and top 4 defenseman(Coburn) and Giroux? Getting an elite pairing defenseman to replace Weber, fill the second pairing hole with Coburn and add an elite talent up front to pair with Wilson and Forsberg. I'm not advocating those moves but as a GM or even a fan, would it make you stop and think for a moment?

The other option is, stick with Weber, move down a slot or two to land MacKinnon or Drouin, pick up an extra pick in the process, maybe a second or third, add a second pairing defenseman through free agency. No guarantees with MacKinnon or Drouin, no guarantee you land a second pairing defenseman in free agency and you still have those pesky Weber rumors...lol.

Do you go for the known or unknown? Granted, drafting Jones is an unknown too so you have to figure out which is the better asset management/risk assessment decision.

I would be apt to keep Weber, draft one of the guys to play center and hope MacKinnon or Drouin paired with Forsberg turn in to our Toews and Kane pairing. That is the best case scenario.