View Single Post
Old
04-18-2013, 09:43 PM
tazzy19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
It was still quite the drop off in 88 in the plus/minus department from his previous peak. Since Overpass was quite careful, rightfully so IMO, not to put too much importance in a single season we can conclude the 89 and 90 continued drop off was probably already occurring in 88.

These things aren't absolutes, they are probabilities, at least if one looks at them objectively. If one is absolute when they is conflicting evidence then they are on shaky ground.

The funny thing about the injury is that if one looks at the entire statistical record for Wayne, it's really hard to pick out when the devastating injury took place.

I mean he lead the league in scoring in 93, and had a decent playoff too, and in assists in 97 and 98.

The hit occurred and he might have aged the same way if it hadn't, it's something we don't know.

to the bolded part, you only want to look at one part of the even strength equation, the scoring points part, which I ahve stated continusioulsy he was still elite.

His overall effectiveness at ES wasn't elite any more though as we can see by his ESGF/ESGA ratio which had dipped down to 1.13 and 1.14 respectively in 89 and 90.

I can go back and look and maybe someone has numbers in a file for those 2 seasons but pretty sure there were many players with a better ratio than Wayne.
Whatever ounce of credibility you were working with now has officially left the discussion. Wayne won a scoring title and a playoff scoring title after the injury, but now he was winning the scoring title by 10 points rather than by 30. It's a testament to how great a player he was before the Gary Suter hit that he was still able to win a regular season and playoff scoring title as a shadow of his former (pre-Suter) self.