View Single Post
04-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Tommy Hawk
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
I'd phrase it differently. There was an AHL team in Des Moines for three years. The first two years it was an affiliate of the Dallas Stars (and was named the Iowa Stars), but not owned by the stars. Then the Stars bought a franchise of their own and put it in Cedar Park (outside Austin), leaving the Des Moines team there, but without an affiliation. So, the owners affiliated with Anaheim for the next season and renamed the team the Iowa Chops.

Then the owners failed financially -- though not necessarily directly related to the failure of the franchise on its own... the franchise was yanked from them when the owners put the team up as collateral for a debt, which is against AHL rules.

So, there was a Ducks-affiliated team in Des Moines, that failed, it wasn't a Ducks-OWNED NHL team. This case has a Wild-OWNED NHL team in Des Moines, so the Wild will be both supplying the players _and_ running the business operations -- which wasn't the case with the I-Stars/Chops.
Actually, Hans, that was not the case. Dallas did not buy a franchise and move it. They were given that "temporary" franchise but i do not recall if that was before or after Iowa had theirs suspended by the league.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote