View Single Post
Old
04-19-2013, 07:59 AM
shogun99

vCash: 500
I posted this on the main boards on a thread about revamping the Oilers.

I would just say a bottom six overhaul, 2 top 4 defenceman and a backup to push Dubnyk for the 2013-14 season. The big 5 would be off the table unless they get blown away with an offer. This is what i'd be looking into for the 2013-14 season.

Hall - xxx - Eberle 1st line
Center for this line doesn't need to be a superstar, just a hard working, defensively responsible player. Maybe aquire thru trade one of Nielsen, Hanzal, Laich, Zajac or Berglund. If Richards is bought out he could be another possibility.

xxx - RNH - Yakupov 2nd line
LW for this line needs to be a mean SOB. Could fill this spot with Morrow or Clowe thru free agency or Hartnell thru trade.

MPS - xxx - xxx 3rd line
Traditional checking line, but with players that could step into a 2nd line role in case of injury. For center, try and trade for a player like Stoll. On RW look into free agents such as Horton, Bouchard or Dupuis.

Hairtikanen - Lander - xxx 4th line
Energy line, try to sign a player like Fehr, Orr or Larose.

Brown - xxx extra forwards
If you can sign Gordon then Lander becomes the 14th forward. If not try to sign Reasoner or Hall.

Smid - Petry 1A pairing
Let them grow together, hopefully can work well together next season

xxx-xxx 1B pairing
Try to aquire these players via trade or free agency. Trade bait with any value is Gagner, Hemsky, 2013 first and MPS. Not sure what return would be. For free agents try and target Streit, Regehr, Leopold or Ference.

Schultz - Schultz 3rd pairing
Keeps J.Schultz sheltered for potential sophomore slump

xxx
Will probably be filled by Klefbom or Teubert

Dubnyk
xxx
Dubnyk given last chance to be a starter with the Oilers. Try to sign a free agent backup such as Montoya, Johnson, Greiss or Khudobin.

So 8 spots should be filled with new players this off season. Traded to fill those spots are Gagner and Hemsky, 2013 1st and 2nd round picks. The rest thru free agency(potential compliance buyouts). Horcoff is bought out. Smyth retired or bought out. Belanger, Peckham given away. Khabbi, Whitney, Fistric, Jones, Petrell and Smithson not resigned.

I'm not sure if this plan is possible or even reasonable but I think it would improve the Oilers for 2013-14, adds size and experience to the lineup and cleans out some of the losing culture.